iExpedition currently has close to 600 Antarctic departures to choose from! The variety to choose from is simply huge. So it is worth considering and answering these questions below when you are beginning your preliminary research around the Antarctic experience you dream of.
When you start looking at Antarctic voyages it can often be overwhelming as the choices are vast, the cabin prices are high, so naturally, it’s a big decision and one we need to ensure we get right for you. It is why we have developed our platform, as we believe it will provide you with the ability to search, find and book the expedition that is perfect for you.
Having an understanding of the questions below will better equip you to get the most out of our search engine.
- Are your travel dates flexible or fixed? If you have flexible travel dates, you may like to read a little about the Antarctic seasons, so you can select the time of year that will tick all your boxes. If your dates are fixed, you may need to consider a few compromises, however, do not be deterred as Antarctica rarely disappoints. Utilising our search calendar on our Antarctic search page will allow you to search for departures on an exact departure date. If you select the 15 December for example, we will show results with departures on this day or the closest departures following on from this date in chronological order for the following 8 weeks.
- Are there any must-see highlights or experiences important to you? Is seeing a newly hatched penguin chick, kayaking alongside whales or capturing the perfect image for your portfolio important to you? If you have a specific highlight which is a must, it’s a good idea to understand this from the beginning, as it may determine, when you should travel, which vessel you should travel and the budget required. You can utilise our Highlights and Activities filters to find the perfect expedition options, that will provide you with those special experiences.
- Are you travelling with a companion or alone? Travelling as a single traveller is not an issue on our Antarctica voyages. The ships cater to single travellers in more ways that one and it’s not by making you pay an awful single supplement fare. Options for single travellers include;
- Travelling as a Single Passenger
- Join a Quad, Triple or Twin cabin and avoid paying the single supplement
- Travel in a dedicated Single cabin
- Book a Twin cabin and pay a single supplement for private use. Single Supplements fares vary from 1x the twin fare to 2x the twin fare. On average, a standard single supplement is between 1.5x – 1.8x the twin fare.
- Travelling as a Pair
- Join a Quad or Triple cabin for the most economic options. Quad and Triple cabins are gender specific, so if you are female/female you can join a female cabin. If you are a male/female couple, you will be split across separate male and female cabins.
- Book a Twin cabin together
- Travelling as a Single Passenger
- Do you have an idea of your budget? Naturally, your budget will play a large part in determining, when you travel, on which voyage, which ship and cabin type you choose. Antarctic cruises are rarely cheap, so having a realistic idea of your budget from the beginning is recommended. Finding a voyage for around AUD$6,000 will be the cheapest option available, this will, however, be on an express voyage. For voyages around 8-12 days, you will need to consider a budget closer to AUD$7,000 – AUD$9,000 in Quad/Triple cabins and AUD$10,000+ for Twin cabins at a minimum.
- Would you like to do any adventure activities? There are a number of adventure activities available on our Antarctic cruises. These range from soft adventures including snowshoeing, camping, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding to more adventures activities including; snorkelling, Polar diving, mountaineering and skiing.
- You can easily use our Adventure Activities filter to search for voyages with adventure activities on board.
iExpedition Search & Filter: How to use
When using our search tool for the best results we recommend;
- Selecting your most suitable date between October and March 2017/18 or 2018/19
- Select your basic search criteria – Destination / Departure Date / Duration & Budget
- We recommend selecting 2 or 3 filters to start and then reducing or adding the number of filters to widen or refine your search
- You can select as many vessels as you like
- If you are selecting the Single Cabin option please do not select any other filters
When you have found voyages that you like, you can easily click the star to save them to your wishlist. The voyages will be saved here for when you return or you can request a cabin reservation and we will secure the berth or cabin for up to 5 days for you, should it be available.
If you have any trouble with finding your perfect voyage, we are available 7 days a week and you can reach us on the phone, email or live chat.
iExpedition is Australia’s only dedicated expedition specialist. We deliver an advanced, search and booking site for Australian travellers interested in expedition travel. With a selection of more than 600 Antarctic and Arctic expedition departures, across close to 40 expedition vessels, we make it easy for you to search, compare, save and reserve or book your next expedition. We are here to help, so please feel free to Contact Us via email or on 1800 960 577. Ready for adventure? Your expedition begins here.
Banner Image: Krystle Wright