To send preserved samples
Send semen in Buffered Formal Saline Solution (BFS). 2mL vials containing 1mL of BFS can be ordered by email firstname.lastname@example.org, on line from QSML via our order form, or by phoning 0427 754709. Vials sent are screw cap unless otherwise specified.
- If semen is creamy (600 x 106/mL), add 1 – 2 drops semen to the BFS in the vial. (Aim to keep vials at approximate 37 C prior to semen addition and as cool as possible after addition)
- If semen is milky add 5 – 6 drops of semen to the vial.
- If semen is watery (180 x 106/mL) take out half the BFS and fill the vial. (Ensure vials are kept cool to reduce bacterial growth at this concentration)
Shake the vial gently after the addition of sperm to avoid clumping. Accurate morphology results are difficult or impossible to obtain once clumping has occurred. Please note: if samples are contaminated with urine, please keep refrigerated as much as possible to decrease bacterial growth. Seal vials in snap lock bag or container and include either:
- Bull Reporter II File Name or
- A copy of our Excel Breeding Soundness Worksheet. This form facilitates the recording of Breeding Soundness Evaluation measurements for those not using Bull Reporter II. It can be downloaded and the crushside data such as Breed, SC, Motility and Collection Number added. If the form is then emailed to us, the sperm morphology results are recorded on the same sheet and emailed back to you.
Packaging preserved samples
Wrap sample in bubble wrap to ensure it is unable to fit through an Australia Post sorting machine or put in a padded post pack (see packaging tips) .
P.O. Box 962
Information for International Packaging
This declaration is to be displayed on the outside of your post package and must contain your letterhead and the following information:
This consignment contains —- samples
Sent by _________________________
Sender’s Position ____________________
These samples are non viable bovine semen preserved in Buffered Formal Saline (a 12.5% Formaldehyde Solution):
Buffered Formal Saline (For Sperm Morphology)
Preservation Method 12.5% Formaldehyde
DiSodium Hypophospate Na2HPO4 6.1936g
Potassium Dihydrogen KH2PO4 2.54g
Sodium Chloride NaCl 5.406g
Formaldehyde (AR) HCHO 125mL
(Univar Formaldehyde Soln HCHO 30.03 UN No 2209)
Dissolve first 3 chemicals each in 100mLs of distilled water and add to 1L volumetric flask. Add formaldeyde and make up to volume.
To send frozen samples
To assess a frozen semen sample we require the frozen straw to be sent in liquid nitrogen.